Home » Altantuya made police report saying to look for Razak Baginda if anything happened to her, court hears
Crimes English

Altantuya made police report saying to look for Razak Baginda if anything happened to her, court hears

Dr Setev Shaariibuu, the father of Altantuya Shaariibuu who was murdered in 2006. Photo: AFP

The investigating officer in her murder says the report was made on the same day that she went missing almost 16 years ago.

The Shah Alam High Court was told today that murdered Mongolian woman Altantuya Shaariibuu had lodged a police report the same day she went missing almost 16 years ago, stating that “if something were to happen to her, they should look for Razak Baginda”.

Supt Tonny Anak Lunggan, 42, the investigating officer in Altantuya’s murder, said on Nov 3, 2016, DSP Gan Tack Guan contacted him by phone to inform him that a police report had been lodged by Altantuya at the Tun HS Lee police station at 1.08pm on Oct 19, 2006.

“I checked on the police report through the police reporting system (PRS) and printed it out. I found it to be true that the police report was made by Altantuya and informed DSP Gan and Supt Zainol Samah about the report.

“I remember one thing very clearly. Altantuya stated in the report that if something were to happen to her, to look for Razak Baginda,” he said, referring to the political analyst as he read from his witness statement today.

Tonny, the 26th witness, said this at the hearing of a RM100 million suit filed by Altantuya’s father, Dr Setev Shaariibuu, and his family against former policemen Azilah Hadri and Sirul Azhar Umar, as well as Razak and the Malaysian government.

To a question from counsel Sangeet Kaur Deo, representing Altantuya’s family, Tonny said inspector Zamilah Mamat had been assigned as the investigating officer to investigate the police report, but did not get the opportunity to record a statement from the late Altantuya.

Tonny, who is currently working in the Bukit Aman prosecution and legal division, said it was important for an investigation to be carried out into the police report, as it was lodged by the deceased herself, and was directly related to her disappearance.

“Furthermore, the report was made on the same day as her disappearance (Oct 19, 2006).

“Although I am not the investigating officer for the report, I will still take the report into consideration because it is directly related to my investigation, especially with regard to Namiraa Gerelmaa’s report on the disappearance of her friend (Altantuya),” he said.

According to Tonny, the contents of Namiraa’s police report stated that on Oct 19, 2006, at 7pm, while she and Altantuya were at a hotel, Altantuya had received a phone call from a man telling Altantuya that her husband had asked him to escort her to a house in Damansara Heights.

“At about 8pm, Altantuya called Namiraa and stated that she had arrived at the house of her husband named ‘Abdul Razak Abdullah Baginda’.

“Namiraa stated that she tried to contact her friend, but failed. She lodged a police report for fear of her friend’s safety,” he said.

Tonny said that based on the investigation and the contents of the police report, Gan had instructed ASP Lim Meng Seah to arrest Razak. Razak was then arrested on Nov 7, 2006.

Meanwhile, Tonny said Razak had also lodged a police report on Oct 23, 2006, regarding threats by Altantuya – also known as Amina – on Oct 17, as well as a report on harassment by a man and two foreign women, made on Oct 20 the same year.

Asked by Sangeet whether he knew why the police report was made seven days after Altantuya went to Razak’s house on Oct 17, Tonny said he did not know why the report by Razak was made late, and that he was not given an explanation.

On June 4, 2007, Altantuya’s parents, Setev and Altantsetseg Sanjaa, and their two grandsons Mungunshagai Bayarjargal and Altanshagai Munkhtulga, filed a RM100 million suit against former policemen Azilah and Sirul, as well as Razak and the Malaysian government.

Altanshagai’s name was removed from the plaintiff’s list when he passed away in 2017.

In their statement of claim, the family said Altantuya’s death had caused them to suffer mental shock and psychological trauma. They also sought compensation as well as exemplary and aggravated damages.

The trial before judge Vazeer Alam Mydin Meera continues tomorrow.


Mengenai Penulis

SBN Admin

error: Content is protected !!